Friday, July 27, 2012

All Creatures Great and Small



Last night I put the finishing touches on this little vintage embroidered and appliqued baby quilt.  A few months in the works, it's slowly but surely come together as I'd hoped.  Every step was carefully planned from the embroidery designs -which are my takes on vintage patterns- to my original applique designs.  For the blocks, I rummaged through my stash for some favorite vintage fabrics.  Then I auditioned several fabrics for the border before settling on this blue calico print.  

The combination of embroidered and appliqued blocks makes this quilt very unusual and unique.  The entire quilt is hand-embroidered, hand-appliqued, and hand-quilted.  My goal in designing it was to create a true heirloom, something worthy of being passed down to the next generation.  

Carefree children, playful animals, and tiny flowers are sprinkled across the cheery red backing fabric.


I was very pleased to find this fabric which I think rivals the front in charm and only heightens the old-fashioned appeal.

Now, let's meet the creatures great and small.

Fearless Lion with green eyes.

Plucky Pachyderm with daisy.

Warbling Redbird out on a limb.

Pokey Inch Worm with huge grin.

Lively Lamb in a bed of red tulips.


and last... Frisky Fawn with Flutter-By.


This quilt measures 36X45" and is made from 100% cotton fabrics and batting.  It's been washed to give it that wonderful crinkly look and feel.

I think any baby or toddler would love to cuddle with these fun little animals, don't you?



All Creatures Great and Small Baby Quilt
SOLD  Thanks!

1 comment: